Tuesday, June 14, 2011

How to Build a 1:20 Scale Model of the Doctor's TARDIS: Phase 1

Yes, you read that right. I am going to attempt to make a miniature TARDIS. I imagine it will take a bit of work, but it will be awesome!

Today, I completed Phase 1: Math.

I decided to make my TARDIS 1:20 scale, because I wanted it to be 6 inches tall. That meant that a TARDIS that is 10 feet tall is equal to a TARDIS that is 6 inches tall when you divide it by 1/20, or .05.

I found a picture of a TARDIS with the height next to it. It was probably in meters, but I decided that It was in feet. I'm not good with the metric system. I calculated that one foot was equivalent to approximately 18 pixels, so I set up two basic formulas:

(p/18)12=f, where p is the number of pixels in a particular measurement and f is the inches the full scale TARDIS measurement is.

  f           i   
  1   =   .05, where f is the value we got from the last formula and i is the inches the scale measurement should be.

That's basically what I did for each measurement. If you want all of the measurements, here they are!

No comments:

Post a Comment